Tuesday 16 November 2010

A Poem

July 1916
A Poem
(Printed as received)

I always wished to see the world, I ad no chanst before,
Nor I dont suppose I should ave if there adnt been no war.
I used to read the tourist books, the shippin news also,
And I ad the chance of goin so I couldnt elp but go.

We ad a spell in Egypt first before we moved along
Acrost the way to Suvla were we got it ot and strong,
We ad no drink when we was dry no rest when we was tired,
But I-ve seen the perramids an Spink which I had oft desired.

I-ve what-'ll last me all my life to talk about and think
I-ve sampled various things to eat an various more to drink -
I-ve strolled amoung them dark bazaars which makes the pay to fly,
And I ad my fortune told as well but that was all my-eye.

I-ve seen them little islands too I couldent say there names,
An towns as white as washin day and mountains spoutin flames -
Ive seen the sun come lonely up on miles an miles o sea,
Why, folks ave paid a undred pound an seen no more than me.

I always wished to see the world, Im fond o life an change -
But a bullet got me in the leg an this is passin strange
That when you see old Englands shore all wrapped in mist an rain
Why, its worth the bloomin bundle to be comming home again.


PADDY - or MICHAEL JOSEPH EZEKIEL (1ST NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment