Monday 22 November 2010

Valedictory

A WORD TO THE HOSPITAL FROM OUR C.O.

By the time this number is in print the second year of the war will have ended; and many changes have taken place since the last issue. Two years ago I took over the Building of the Royal Patriotic Schools, and, with the help of a loyal staff and good friends, this hospital has earned a world-wide reputation for being a place where patients are not only cared for as to their health, but are made happy in their minds. As a result of the success of this hospital, I have been honoured by being asked to take out to the East a 1,040-bed hospital officered by Territorial Medical Officers. I have been allowed to take with me thirty to forty N.C.O.'s and men, and amongst these are some who have been here from the earliest days, and who have helped me to make the 3rd London a success. I know I can count on their help in our new task. Sir Alfred Pearce Gould has been appointed to command during my absence, as I hope one day to return to the hospital which has been - and always will be - of greatest interest to me.

I could not say Au Revoir to my comrades of the 3rd as I should have liked, but I do thank them one and all for their devoted work, and ask with confidence that the loyalty given me may be given to Sir Alfred. I shall often think of the 3rd London, and no doubt envy those who are working there amidst such pleasant surroundings. My comrades amongst the patients I wish good luck, and if by chance those who return to the Front should come my way, I hope they will make themselves known to me. The good behaviour of the patients has lightened my task during the two years gone by, and has made me proud to have been still young enough, when Armageddon came, to serve the Army in which I was born, and to minister in some degree the comfort of some of its sons.

H.E.B.P.

AN APPRECIATION
By the Matron

Saturday, July 8th, was a very sad day for our hospital. The Unit formed from the 3rd for the East left on their way to Aldershot. Headed by Captain Hope Gosse, the men marched past the front of the hospital looking so smart and well turned out in their new helmets. They called for cheers for us, and we - with big lumps in our throats - tried to cheer them.
We have only lent them to the East, which needs them evidently more than we do, and we hope with all our hearts that it won't be very long before we can welcome them back again to rejoin the hospital - which is a very sad place without them. In the meanwhile, we who are left behind will, I know, carry on as we have always done, and we gladly welcome Sir Alfred Pearce Gould, who is dear to all, as our Chief. And I know that I am voicing the opinion of the whole hospital when I say he shall have our loyal help and support while he is in charge of our hospital.

EDITH HOLDEN

No comments:

Post a Comment